Saturday, September 6, 2014

Lost And Found At Sea



One of the hardest things about writing, is that there are countless, endless ways of explaining, recounting, telling, measuring and quantifying experiences. That, most of the time, the right words don't just leap at you and fall into their rightful place with any grace at all. Instead, they grind against each other like so many glacial flats, or tectonic plates, in utter chaos and disaster, sometimes for what seem like several millennia; and the landscapes are only exposed later.

Then there are experiences so clearly beyond words, that the words can really only graze at their surface, or gaze wistfully at them in the horizon. I feel like we just came back from the deeps, so it might take a little while to tell about it.

But as always, it's good to be home.

8 comments:

  1. Whoa. That picture is incredible! I can't wait to hear about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word gets tossed around these days but I gotta say...this trip and THIS MOMENT....EPIC. The stuff of the stories of lifetimes. I can't wait to hear more. I know/love/hate that feeling about trying to put it into words. You get to hold it inside while it moves and lifts and lulls inside you. I always force myself to write about trips during or directly after because I know if I don't I'll forget little stuff, and I am such a recorder. But I know that if I let it sit awhile, it would bury deeper into my soul. Or maybe it always does anyway, as I write, as I photograph, as I record, yet the strongest meaning of the journey is burrowing away inside. Hug those kitties for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if that picture needs words. It's beautiful just on it's own x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the picture hope the story is not too hard to write elizabeths.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw many whales on vancouver island and it was truly breath-taking. I cried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous photos. Welcome back, can't wait to hear more about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHOAH PHOTO!! That's all I got. Words fail. That seems like a good thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete