Friday, August 1, 2014

So 90s


My husband has a special hatred of the 90s TV character Blossom. Generally when he disapproves of a garment I'm wearing, it's because "Blossom would have worn that." As a pre-teen, I loved Blossom. She was the zany, strong-willed girl with cooky style, who was cute and adorable without being conventionally pretty. Plus on 6th grade one of the popular mean girls told me I looked like her. I'm pretty sure it was an insult, but I took it as a compliment. So when Charlie makes derogatory remarks about my Blossom-style, I know my twelve-year-old-self thinks I'm killing it with my outfit!

You're not supposed to love the styles of the era of your teens when it comes back to style, but honestly, I never really stopped loving the 90s. It was the first time I ever felt like style-rules weren't just tied to having your parents buy you the right things. In fact, it felt like there were no rules. There was a real creativity to getting to be in charge of your own wardrobe in the 90s. Much like these days, almost anything went: maxi skirts, mini skirts, dresses, jeans, overalls...

Oh and vests. They go together with 90s dresses and skirts like conjoined twins. The contingent of early 90s apparel I have the most love for is definitely the grunge-y layering old thrift store finds. Big cardigans, overalls, flannels, army coats, boots with everything, slouchy beanies with everything, are pretty much my staples from decade to decade.

I love 90s floral patterns and am forever in search for the perfect sunflower dress to replicate the one I rocked back in the day. This summer 90s rayon dresses and skirts have been my go-tos more than ever, since it's been way too hot even here in the PNW for tight-bodiced cotton prairie dresses.

Speaking of which, my 90s were very much the 70s all over again: bell-bottom jeans from grandma's attic, Stevie Nicks, vintage velvet, big bohemian earrings, peasant blouses, corduroy minis and tie-dye and striped tops and mandarin jackets.

Some things never change, especially if like me, you're prone to terminal nostalgia. Speaking of which: how is it that putting pictures of oneself in clothes on the internets seems to have gone full circle from embarrassing to normal and back to embarrassing? At least in my own circle of favorite blogs it seems to have been relegated to the back shelf, into the realm of "fashion bloggers".

Having always loved seeing other people's personal style and reading about their inspiration feel like it's time to bring back the outfit shot. Can I start "a 90s fashion blogger"-meme, or something?


What are you wearing this hot, hot summer?

Edit: I swear to God that is not my good side. Maybe I'm just left-handed…Also, hilarious headpoof in third picture :D

16 comments:

  1. I love 90's style so much. I look fondly back on my time in junior high for that reason (unlike most people I didn't have a horrendous middle school experience.) Flannel and Chuck Taylors, platform Sketchers and Hawaiian shirts, butterfly clips and matching sweater sets, dragon decals and dragonfly embroidery, blue eye shadow and maxi skirts. Gah! It's so amazingly bad it's good! I still wish I had my Delia's maxi skirt and oversized floral sweater...
    Right now in the current day I'm all about denim. Denim on denim. Mostly blue and some black. Denim and black are the only things that don't betray how much I sweat in the humid Midwest summers. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I saw a black dress with white daisies on it and I wanted it so bad, my inner teen wanted it so bad. Lately I am looking back with great fondness of the years I wore baby doll dresses, flannel shirts, and Dr. Martins. The small backpack thing though, I don't think I ever went with that. The 90's are coming back and my inner preteen as well is freaking out :) I also loved Blossom. I named one of my cats after her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small backpack! Had totally forgotten about that one but I had one that I loved :)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to wear my new to me (from your shop) vintage floral 90's dress, even if it's winter here (gotta love inappropriate winter clothing).
    xxs

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 90s nostalgia is more related to Britpop, so my fashion at the time was more inspired by the 60s/70s like the music was. I lived in Lee cord jeans (I would love some of those again), old school trainers (I still wear that style), lots of teeshirts, weird fabrics like lurex. Because I could never walk in thin heels, and not really a fan of very pointy toes, I like the chunkier style of shoes -- that seems to be coming back as well. I'm wondering if this winter people are going to start wearing knee-length skirts over their jeans (I personally never liked that look, but it was intrinsic to the 90s!)

    Your bag looks totally 90s too -- I remember when that style was really trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, voi kyllä! Juuri nyt päällä: murretun siniset, kauttaaltaan ysärikukkien peittämät pehmoiset puuvillahousut...Jotka näyttävät, joo, aivan yökkäreiltä, mutta se ei haittaa.. Jostain syystä ysärivaatteilla on se vaikutus. Kukkamekot, liivit, korikassit (mulla on täsmälleen sama juuri nyt kuin sulla tossa kuvassa, paitsi että siinä on pieni läppä ja solki), haalarit (oon löytänyt tänä kesänä kukallisen SEKÄ pilkullisen ysärihaalarin!).. Niillä kaikilla on se vaikutus; tuijottakaa, älkää tuijottako, ihan sama, en välitä, William, William it was really nothing ja niin edelleen. Vaikka olen 40 enkä 14. Kaupat on tietty täynnä myös sitä kamalaa ysäriä, hooetämmät ja giinatrikoot. Voi rumuutta. Mutta kai se sitten myy täällä Helsingissä..

    M

    ps. Niin, ja ne asukuvat. Mä sanon: Kyllä.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 1990s are so big with students at the uno where I work! They don't wear real 1990s tho - it's chain store copies. Floral dresses and chunky sandals. I'm getting obsessed with it all tho - the genuine articles tho like the flannel I got from you and my doc martins. I want to do a fashion blog as mine has become so all over the place yet not enough of anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a waitress I waited on Mayim Bialik and her parents. If I remember correctly, she ordered a Tuna Croissant. I also waited on Hayley Mills :) ANYWAY, yes, I too love the 90's and am loving all your rad Blossom-esque outfits. I am all for the return of the outfit post so thank you for starting it up again!

    I still don't fit in 80% of my dresses and skirts and pants and...so I've been wearing anything baggy. When I was still pregnant I found the cutest yellow and white cotton floral dress but it looks like I'll have to save it for next summer. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah! I once spent a wild night of listening to sitar music with Hayley Mills' son Crispian, who was in that one 90s band Kula Shaker and he got irritated 'cos I was the only one of the bunch of people who kept asking about his mum. I got to see her once later and was super star struck, because, did you know I learned English from Pollyanna?! I can still do parts of it in verbatim.

      Delete
  8. Aw, that's my girl <3

    When I was at Heather's I got to stay in the room where her and Emily keep all there Etsy stuff. I slept at the foot of a big round rack stuffed to the brim with gorgeous dresses and ended up going home with a few. I've been wearing that peach one that I posted pics of from the beach on fb a lot and also a cute little rayon 90's red and white gingham overall style mini dress :)

    I will always be in love with your 90's style!

    Maybe I should just put up a random outfit post on the blog and act like nothing ever happened ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing wrong with Blossom... I even had one of those odd looking bowler hats like hers.... though that was in the late eighties.....in my head I always remember Molly Ringwald looking so amazing with some nice outfits in Pretty in Pink though when I watch it know I'm a bit...hmmmmm not so sure.
    Last year I got a "oh my god, what are you wearing" comment from the boyfriend....(bright mustard yellow tights with some red wedge heels in case you are wondering)...... he looked horrified, however I had the last laugh because later on I was told how marvellous I looked by a lady when we'd walked into town.
    I've liked floral dresses since I was a teenager and love wearing them with leggings or super bright tights. I'm definitely a winter girl as I do like my layers (I've even customised old long sleeve thermals into summer cardigans so I can layer all year round...just dye them, cut up the front, pin then sew on with zig zag stitch some brightly coloured lacey elastic, sew a hook and eye or ribbon at the top...tah dah!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never outgrew combat boots, leggings and flowy tops. Giant jeans, however, yes - outgrown!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really made me laugh. I was a huge Blossom fan as an early teen and I can definitely remember trying to look like her or Clarisa from Clarisa Explains It All. I think I was told in the 8th grade that I looked like Blossom as well and I know I certainly took it as a compliment.

    As for typical '90s fashion, I lived in a backwards town where it took a while for people to catch on to newish trends. So basically my whole high school was stuck in the late 80's, while me being very nostalgic stuck with (oddly enough) the old bell bottom jeans and clothes I found of my mom's in my grandmother's attic. I can remember having a "spirit week" at school and one of the days was a '60's/Hippie Day. I didn't participate, yet I fit right in and some kid pointed at me to another and the other one said, "No, that girl dresses like that everyday". Though I will say I did kind of appreciate the grundge dressing and most of my friends were the outcasts who did dress in Doc Martins, flannels, and flowy, flowery dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Milla, this post made me remember so many of those 90's fashion staples. The vest! I hadn't thought about it in forever, but suddenly remembered all the different ones I had and my favorite :) I'm totally in favor of "a 90s fashion blogger"-meme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the 90s florals and babydolls too. A couple weeks ago when I was back at my mom & dad's the only thing I smuggled back from my childhood this time was a denim bucket hat with attached plaid flower that I specifically remember getting as a gift in the 90s because it was "so Blossom" they thought I'd like it, however I think I rolled my eyes and never wore it. But now it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Those hats! Post pics! I think I've seen Heather (moonshine junkyard) rock one, or maybe it was in my dreams ;)

      Delete