Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Girl Who Married A Sheep



Oh America, behold your best holiday!

The one with the creepiest vibe and the most bizarre message! Never mind the additive laden candy, the plastic crap and the inappropriate costumes, you still have my vote.

A night when children and adults can run around as ghouls, monsters, animals, historical figures and threaten strangers lest they give them sweet stuffs, reminds me off the Saturnalia and other pagan traditions when the rules of ordinary days are a little suspended, a little strange...


I could wax lyrical about All Saint's Day, Day Of The Dead, Samhain, but suffice to say that the veil between the world's is the thinnest today and I gots to get the fire going, the pumpkin soup on the stove and bake some bread, before handing out some choice sugar to the delighted children and their terrified parents of the neighborhood.



So Happy Creepy Halloween!




12 comments:

  1. Blessed Samhain to you! xoxo Seattle Rain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy Halloween to you too, Milla! I agree, it is a bizarre but great holiday! And I do love your whimsical costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy halloween to you! well, now it's all saints day... so happy all saints day. you both look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true! It really is the best holiday ever. I absolutely adore it and it is one thing I am very proud of about our country :)
    One day you must spend Halloween in Nevada City, last night really blew my mind! It was like an old 1920's movie here in Vermont, so much fun for all involved, so spookily wonderful with people running the old western streets every which way in their costumes! I bet your pumpkin soup was delicious, I shall pretend I had a sip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. heckyeah honey bear!even my little girl would rather be scary now than cute (in which i rejoice!) The mixture of candyand fear seems to do well with them ;P
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha! i LOVE your mask. and that jar of honey! i want to know the back story to it, and i also want to jump in it. (the honey, not the mask. although that too, really.) i also love c's sheep costume. he looks so nonplussed...here i am as a sheep. why not? i hope kitty didn't burn his/her whiskers while admiring his/her portrait.

    happy halloween and day(s) of the dead to you dear! and i want to know how the bread turned out, baked in a wood fired oven and all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. well if that aint the cutest lil lamb i ever did see....glad to see your family celebrating so magically!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the mask!! oh i hope you had a delightfully scary time. ours was a blast! yay halloween! :) xoxo kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed. I felt a strong compulsion this year to celebrate Dia de los Muertos by making some pan de muertos, but it never did actually happen. So, is that pumpkin soup in your jar? At first blush I thought maybe Kombucha?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree! i love halloween! and that mask is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such cute critters, you two. i hope you had a blast!
    p.s. email coming, package coming...not sure it what order....xo

    ReplyDelete