Monday, March 26, 2012

The Bus Stops Here

roadkill
Apparently you guys love the bus. And who can blame you? Not I. Seems like half of my sister's friends are bus-ing it right now, and I can't say that I'm immune to the allure of the bus myself. Something about the formerly speedy gas-guzzler being immobilized, made home-y, or maybe lounging about in a space that once dragged kids to school against their wills...something about it adds a frisson to the daily proceedings.
solar
The bus that Mali dwells in was quite tricked out by her landlord and there are traces of his kids everywhere. The five (three kids, two grown-ups) of them outgrew the bus quickly (with the addition of an adorable new member), to the advantage of my sis. Lucky duck. Maybe the energetic, adventurous vibes of the bus were left by the kids. They certainly have some to spare.
outdoor fridger
at the gates
going through that phase
going to mr. kelly's
The property that The Bus is on, also hosts a number of other dwellings, including another bus and the former abode of one of Mali's old teachers. Who, judging from this house, was none other than Babayaga.
babayaga's house
It's like a quilt, upright in plywood.
nap time!
work cut out

ornaments
garden gates
cat's new kingdom
ye olden timey house wife
What do we do for fun, you ask, in between lazy bouts? Smoke herbal tobacco from C.'s corncob pipe, of course.
smoker's cough
paraphernalia
local yokels
And drink coffee drinks in all extremes. The Kid is fully responsible for making me a caffeine fiend again. Stuff's more addictive than crack.
bevages
fire maker
With eclectic reminders of its past inhabitants (stickers, bunk-beds) and Mali's own impeccably cute taste, the bus really is quite sweet.
ships ahoy
Check out this art collection: embroidery owls, florals, boats, diving girls, a Bill Murray print that I got for her from Clever Nettle...
dive in
Did I say eclectic? Mishmash. Hodgepodge. All those adorable things, odd couplings, yet perfect for each other. Girl's got a good eye.
light motif
the owls are what they seem
Shower view
Primeordeal
Bus-ted
Catch me if you can
Fire escape
And here is our upstairs loft. Mali generously offered it to us, taking one of the bunks below. Pretty sweet.
The top top bunk
the storybook section

The view
The heart of the sea
Fire exit
A little fire-escape that leads straight to the roof. Needless to say the cat's a fan.
leisure lounge
She generally seems to enjoy this giant climbing tree of a house and the thicket outside. Different from her usual haunts.
Top bunk
Here comes the sun
Sun moon stars clouds
Looky here
Unlike a lot of bus-abodes this one does have some non-narrow space, with the add-on kitchen, beautifully flooded with light.
I like beverages, no?
Pots and pans
Lakeside
Closet case
Hats ahoy
In her cups
Land of light

The tower of teabel
Your pansies and your posies
Gone to pot
Landlady
lightness
footsoles
sea life
portrait
I hope Mali adds her own bus-portrait to the collection.
portrait of the bus
Sleeps with the fishes
Craft and TV-watching nook. We're heavily into the X-Files right now. Anybody recognize That 70s Snuggie?
Couch sac part two
handyworks

Kissa's heavily into napping. Now and forever.
Disgruntled
Spring
Spring time blooms everywhere around us. Especially in Mali's wardrobe where I was thieving today.
The rock of loveMakin' it
The pour
Like sister like little sister, right? Especially when it comes to prairie frocks.

Parrot cat
Speaking of prairie frocks, this mailman type sketchy guy brought me an adorable package from Nicole today. Decorated by her lovely daughter. I was pleased as punch just seeing the little illustration.
Art from the heart
I got to say, I feel so blessed with each of her packages, as you may recall, Nicole's shop is every vintage-lovin' girl's dream come true and each of her packages makes me feel like I have a special tiny branch of Crimson and Clover at my doorstep. In addition to giving me my quite possibly favorite ever dress (now that's a feat!). She gave me a Gunnes and a gorgeous batik/tie-dye dress last year and damn if there wasn't a second set of those in this package!
Glory be!
Watch me jump for joy!
Calico gods speak trough Nicole!
Flaming Hag Folkwear
Nicole is also responsible for most of my favorite jewellery. Her crystals and bone feather and Aladdin's lamps adorn my neck more often than not and now she's added another beauty to my collection (Here I was working at little book necklaces-hers is sublime!).
Cotton rainbow
Womyn on the verge
Thank you so much dear Nicole. A much needed injection of joy to my little traveling wardrobe. Now I don't have to keep stealin' from The Kid.
Here's looking at you Kidlet.
Bus over and out. There's X-files on TV.

20 comments:

  1. Gah, love it love it love it. The bus is so perfect, SO preferable to a big, difficult to heat home.

    And I thought I recognized the garden! I sometimes go over to that cool artist-of-many-hats' blog and read around. Couldn't believe that there was more than one bus on the Island!

    Also, you're adorbz. As is the lil' sis. As is the fella. As is the minicik kedi.

    Enjoy yer pipe, yer company, and yer spooky shows, love!

    xoxo

    p.s. headed to the post office today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy I love the X-Files too. We have all of the seasons on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man...this little place looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aargh!!! En kestä...ihan MAHTAVA!
    Täälläkin istutuspuuhissa,tosin vasta sisätiloissa esikasvatusta:kesäkurpitsaa,kurpitsaa,tomaattia jne..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesomeness! What a rad pad. Although it must get pretty nippy in there come winter time I bet, buses aren't exactly insulated hah. I got as far as halfway through Season 4 of the X-files and then it stopped being about X-files and all about conspiracies, but man I love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have asked for anything better to start my day off with! Yes, Im a bit of a night owl and lazy to get up early. Seeing more pictures and reading your post has put the biggest smile on my face :) so thank you , off to start my very late morning/afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  7. how adorable and crafty is the bus! this last photo of you reminds me of Milla circa 2007 via w_r. :) ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous place to live! Wonderful! Every nook and cranny seems delightful, thanks so much for taking us on a tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Milla this is so great! Wow, I always have so many thoughts about what I want to comment while while reading your posts that I then quickly forget because there's always so much beauty and information!

    I love the patchwork Baba Yaga house :-)

    I can't wait to hear about the fertility class.

    You look adorable in Mali's prairie dress- it's one of the prettiest ever!

    I'm so happy that you and C. have such sweet spots to crash at while your own home is being made healthy and viable again. O love the sweet book nook and the profusion of pretty fabrics. Any idea how long it'll be until you can move back in? Do you even want to move back in?

    How is Nicole so good at gathering gift packages!? Lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a sweet bus-house! I think I'm in love! Also, speaking of love, who doesn't love the X-Files? I had it all...uh...dowloaded but i lost it in a computer purge...time to get it back I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay, i am so happy you liked your goodies. it makes me happy on the clothes behalf to know that they'll be worn on a beautiful island, and doubly so that they will spend time in that magic bus. for yes, i, too, am completely enchanted.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, my. This is by far one of the dreamiest, more romantic pictorial I've seen here (and there have been LOTS) But I'm in love, with every nook & cranny. It's like a hippy fairytale came to life, in a cozy bus offering hot coffee and old pipes at all hours of the day. I LOVE IT. So much so that I didn't want the images to stop. Your sister has incredible taste. A true art in her soul...something the two of you share. So inspiring. Thank you for sharing this magical little slice of life. I mean, I really am in love.

    xx
    J

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! Ofcourse we love the bus! It's so pretty, cozy, dreammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so in love with that bus!! oh, it takes me back to the days before we had our little ones, when we lived in a big ol' house with all our friends and our kitties. except our place wasn't nearly as beautiful and awesome. ;) the prairie dresses are the best, too. i can't wait for it to get a bit springier over here in whatcom county so i can wear my dresses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. AHHH! This post is to much for me! Okay okay..I get so excited when you post I get overwhelmed and I get anxious and I comment in my head all the way down to the end. And when its due, I have nothing to say because I am so excited and now on overload I can't say anything. I think what we need to do is Skype as I patrol your blog and I can tell you bit by bit all my love and appreciation for you. Im sorry you haven't been feeling well. Are you taking concentrated amounts of Elderberry?
    peace to you sista!! dude, you are such a flower!! xoo

    ReplyDelete
  16. sooooo awesome!!!! magical, dreamy, perfect.

    you're a lucky gal, sweet milla :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. freaking out over how lovely and magical island life is looking! the big city has been getting me down a bit and i would so love to retreat to a bus world!! great pics! they made my morning!!
    xo m

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's just too much goodness here to even go over. How about, I love every single picture (WOW on the brown borrowed dress) and the sweet Nicole package and..... That Bus is crazy cool, a settlement for the nomadic kind, and you and your sister could be the lead characters in a book about magical forrest girls who live in a bus, live off the land, and dress cuter than anyone around :D hehe What a fun sissy time! Makes me miss mine (she lives about an hour away, (but seems further due to our run away busy lives) and is just as blond as your cute sister!).

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a dream! I love your blog and your attitude towards life.

    ReplyDelete