Monday, January 30, 2012

The Red Queen

Vintage 1960s Mustard Floral Mini Skirt
Dear Friends, welcome to a frivolous monday. Downstairs my blond little sister is cooking a chicken, plying C. with mugs of coffee, blasting Bowerbirds, a favorite band of all of ours.

The whole weekend we've felt like a bunch of teenagers playing house, wandering aimlessly, djing from our ipods, dancing at other people's grown up homes, falling asleep to the sound of a torrential downpour in the back of our car, crashing at the house my sis is caretaking, complete with a bathtub and two cats; playing games, reading astrology books, celebrating, drinking mimosas. We have no plans, no responsibilities, no money, but endless time. Everything seems easy, every day a party.
Handmade Vintage 1960s Blue and Brown Pippi Longstocking Scandinavian Nautical Jumper
And so I have nothing deep or meaningful to say, so content I am in this moment, getting ready to watch movies, leaf through books, waiting more friends to arrive. On these long nights of this bright midwinter, I sometimes feel like in a dream.

Vintage 1970s Cotton Blue-Eyed Floral Quilt Skirt
Instead of words, I offer you these images, eerie and dream-like themselves, from this little shop by an Olympia girl. There is something so Scandinavian about them, they remind me of my own childhood somehow, when the world was very young and there was still magic in it.
Vintage 1960s Snow White Red Apple Gown

Vintage 1960s Psychedelic Nordic Hippie Primary Colored Gown
SPRING SALE 1960s White Nordic Open Sweater Jacket
(I bought this cardigan here for Brigit last summer.)
SPRING SALE 1960s Under the Northern Sun Tasseled Vest
SPRING SALE 1960s Pink Blossom Backless Garden Gown
SALE 1960s Hippie Dippie Lilac Flower Child Skirt
SPRING SALE 1960s Hip-to-a-T Highwaisted Pants and Vest Outfit
SPRING SALE 1960s Under the Northern Sun Tasseled Vest
Sweet dreams.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, your winter moments are sounding so relaxing, and comfortable and blissful. Glad you're getting some good times with a little sis, friends and all round cosyness. Pretty things at Sheep Owl and Squirrel...only 4 things left in the shop!
    loves
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. my oh my, your week sounds like a far cry from the quiet drifting snowy woods before! i love whirlwind of books and dance parties, no-plans and astrology. winter will keep you warm that way for certain. i perused all these photos earlier today and was swooning, after i saw that you had hearted the blue patchwork skirt on etsy...so lovely. i have long admired the timeless redhead beauty of the northern lands and how the photos seem from another time and place long gone. i wish you many more cozy gatherings and friendly circles of joy with cats and sisters and rad ipod playlists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so dreamy I can barely stand it! All of it, the images, the description of your carefree days, and mostly just you... yup, a dreamy dream girl you are <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sound like the perfect way to spend winter days :)
    That dress is SO gorgeous, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds magical! drink a mimosa for me :D

    love that shop! i have some favorites from there. great pictures for sure. i need to work on that for my own shop. if only i had more time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how fun! You two gals enjoy eachother :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always you post things exactly as I am feeling at the moment. The whole reading, movies, drinking , dancing , the celebration of life with very little money, that's my world right now, a very happy one indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm... lovely & dream inspiring. That redhead in the braids is too much.

    This post made me breathe more deeply. I'm so happy to hear that you are still and content.

    I must check out that shop immediately...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. those are fantastic pictures. i thought i recognized that sweater. i hope you had a good birthday. today is mine and so far it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the pictures and shop are heavenly, thank you for sharing. All new to me. But your sisterly description is top-notch and the best thing I've read all day. Always a sharp way with words my friend.

    Cheers to dance party in "adult homes" :)
    x
    J

    ReplyDelete
  11. definitely see what you mean about the finnish feel of those photos. they seem old, too, not modern. love it. and there is my sweater! hee hee. thanks for sharing this shop, i need more etsy shops that are pure gold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, hi. i thought i did not post a comment when i read this a few days ago because i was on my kindle an dit sucks to type on. but apparently i did. sooooooo...yeah. nothing to see here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking a lot about time and socializing of late. They come as a package, no?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, I wanna go house sit with you guys!!! Sounds perfectly fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I love the photos in the snow - we had a bit of snow here but due to work I didn't get chance to take any photos in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely! Her milkmaid hair is to die for. I need to figure out how to do this with my baby-fine hair! Love your blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete