Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Solstice



Spirits of The North,
I call you in on this,
the longest night of the year
You circle the Earth
connecting all of this hemisphere
From Tuvalumiut, to Kallaalit Nunnaat, to Kautokeino, Murmansk,
The Bering Sea, to Nunavak and Kodiak
Who connect us to the first People
who came to this land over a bridge of ice
And remind us of their wisdom
and all the wisdom of our elders
As we turn inward tonight
You remind us that even in the coldest places there is warmth under the snow
and new life waiting to emerge
That even in the darkest places have their own mysterious light
To begin this long night, to usher in your season
I light for you this small fire





Warm Solstice Blessings, everyone! I'll be thinking of you on this long night. And the winner of the giveaway is Jenny Day (email me your details and I'll put our order in.)!

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! One day I hope to see the Northern Lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh those pictures are soooooooo beautiful and calming and a timely reminder to me that the wondrous universe is a gazillion times more amazing and huge than I could ever imagine. Your poem/calling is perfection. How can it be that the sun is beaming down on me right now, and it is soon to be our longest day? Upside down world.
    xx
    Happy tidings to you and much cosiness wished for your cold, night laden skies.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dream of seeing the northern lights in person someday. milla, i would love to hear about your experiences with them! seems like pure magic to me. i want to go to finland and stay here in a glass geodesic dome for optimal (and warm) viewing!

    http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/accommodation/

    dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh such beautiful beautiful images! A very Happy Solstice to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. solstice blessings from the distant new forest...one day i too will see the northern lights...they are so beautiful they make me tearful

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing photos. I have only seen the northern lights from an airplane (of all places). Gorgeous! My little girl was born on Solstice, which makes me so incredibly happy! She is light and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are amazing! That first especially takes my breath away. Of course I too dream of seeing the northern lights in all their beauty and glory one day. Who doesn't?

    I hope a bit of magic found its way into your heart and surroundings on the year's longest of nights <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The solstice is my favorite day of the year. Sometimes it lands on my birthday, sometimes it doesn't, but it brings me so much joy to know the light is coming back. Thank you for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy solstice to you (8 days late)! i hope all is well and you are enjoying all the holiday festivities :D

    ReplyDelete