Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm going here!

Here, is a music festival at Dear Bay, the very special resort I keep mentioning (I've been there every month in the last four for one reason or another!). Here is going to be awesome. The sun, the fog and woods, the Bay, the bands! Tickets for the event sold out in (count 'em) three minutes, but I'm lucky to have friends in high places and excited to hang out with with them. It's always cool to hear the opinions of someone who knows a lot about good bands. Yayay!
Ravenna Woods, Damie Jurado, Builders and Butchers, Campfire Ok, The Head and the Heart, oh my!
In my teens and twenties, music festivals were a big part of summer, glorious nightless nights spent in sweaty crowds swaying ecstatically to the hum and beat and wailing guitars. I still remember waking up on a field, no tent of course, and walking down to the river to swim last night's songs still playing in my head. The band in question was none other than Smashing Pumpkins. Oh the glorious folly of youth!
I haven't been to one in years and I'm so so excited, not only for the afore-mentioned reasons, but simply to have a few days off the Island, in this, the busiest of months and the feeling of freedom that imbues me with.
Bring on the tents, yurts and little cabins, bring on the August sun, warm days and chilly nights and swimming in the Sound and the sounds, bring on the dancing beautiful people, the meteor showers, the Pleiades!

Here I go.
IMG_0528IMG_0547
IMG_0543

When I return I hope to hear your favorite festival memories. Do spill.

19 comments:

  1. Great pictures!
    I love going to festivals too in the summer. In Belgium we have a lot of them, so that's great!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great festival. I just went to one in the woods a few weeks ago and it was a wonderful inspiring place. Wishing you a lot of festival fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Festival time! I've been to 4 festivals so far... 3 the same one, several years in a row. I don't think we attend festivals with quite the same kind of music, but I know where you're coming from. It's like another world you never want to leave. I hope you have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have fun! i can't handle festivals, i get anxious in crowds and want to run screaming for the hills. you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that is where your travel case is taking you! music festivals...i love them too much...and my id takes over and away we go. So. Now I have the babies, i don't partake as much. (sad face) Have an enormously fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Have fun, darlin'!

    Honestly, I've never been to a music festival :( BUT, I'm quite partial to county fairs, especially in rural places. I went to the Duchess County Fair every year back in NY. Loved all the farm animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a fantastic trip! I have never been to a festival, but it's something I would love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was a camp out for the weekend kind of reggae festival along the river that my sister and I and our friends would go to each summer back in highschool. so. much. fun.

    This little festival sounds amazing, I hope you had a blast, how could you not?!

    I'm excited about checking out the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival this year down in San francisco :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you lucky girl! i am listening to the bands you mentioned as i do my writing this morning. but hang on just a minute, i'm almost packed, stand on the side of the road just a little longer and i will be there promptly....i want to scoop you up and head to the west, in summer festival bliss.

    i hope you have an amazing time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, my festival memory! when bill graham died, all the bands he promoted put on a free concert in golden gate park...the dead, santana, csny, ccr, etc. played. i was only 19 and still living in redding. we found out about it, jumped in the car in the middle of the night, and arrived in the city the next morning, delirious. we didn't know where we were going, but as we approached speedway meadow, all the other folks walking along with us began to run. and so we all ran, gaining momentum and more people until we burst into the meadow....it was such a spectacle and a dream come true. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my dear friend. how i'd love to snuggle with you and party the night away listening to grand ole music and feeling the night close and warm around me and my beloveds. bliss out sweet girl!!! a smallish music festival sounds perfectly cozy; i think i have grown too old for the crowds of the big ones! i love damien jurado, hope your heart swoons m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i missed our first sf music fesival of the year, but there's always treasure island & the bluegrass fest... take lots of photos! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how wonderful all that seems, and You with your wee suitcase, off on your Sound travels, sounds just right. I have found our connection on terrallectualism, and am quite delighted at the idea of preparing such a package for you!!!!! Thanks for the link to Mary's blog. It is indeed a treasure trove. Be very well, and I will imagine you full of summer's rays and sounds till we next hear from you. x E

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey those last pics finally came up!! Soo cute doll..BTW. I think I screwed up. I changed my blog URL and now I don't exist. Is this right? It is now www.theequinebovine.blogspot.com . Did i just loose you? Say it ain't so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. are you back? can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love reliving our teenage summer haunts. And my God, this place looks like a dream come true. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us (postwise) once you get back. I haven't indulged in any music festivals in quite some time, so I can live vicariously through you and yours :)

    Much Love
    J

    p.s: I wrote a big long loving sentiment on another post but stupid blogger deleted it accidently. Ugg!

    ReplyDelete