Sunday, July 31, 2011

Gentle as the feathery down of dandelion seed

It sure has been quiet around here for a while. I've been busy living my life, pressing my cheek against the sun.
IMG_9724
As Heather posted a few days ago, it's been a weird, freaky year so far, both personally and globally. There have been cataclysmic events. Terrible political decisions have been made. Doomsday cults have spread a sense of unease. The weather has been crazy everywhere. Draughts and tornadoes (check out our friend Brian's piece on visiting his old hometown devastated by a tornado) have roamed the land. All around us smaller, more intimate events have occurred; hard personal epiphanies, illnesses, sadness, brake-ups, near-death experiences and strange behavior.

And this week, we've had to come to terms with an act of unspeakable malice in a country so small that the number of victims is comparable to thousands of Americans dying in a similar way.

As a general rule, I don't follow the news media if I can avoid it, simply because I don't feel that the immediate knowledge of so many calamities and sadness is necessary for me in order to understand the shifting physical and emotional realities of this world. The current climate of quote-unquote "news" reporting is very much focused on negative, fear-mongering headlines, rather than actual information.

Most of the events and stories featured in mainstream media, tragic as they may be to the individuals they directly touch, bear little significance to immediate lives of the rest of us. The only real impact of murder stories from Alabama, or recession news from South East Asia have on us is that of compounding the anxiety that's already so prevalent in this fast-paced world of ours.

Even when stories of absolute universal importance, such as the Gulf oil spill, the people's uprisings in The Middle East or the Nuclear emergency Fukushima Daiichi get coverage, it is so superficial and fleeting, that it often ends up trivializing the issue rather than doing justice to the complexity and breadth of the these events.

Instead, I prefer to get my "news" through the filter of time, to determine not only their signigance to my own existence, but their importance to the wider world as well. But that's another post all together.

Last sunday when the news of Norway's day of terror started filtering to me the way all news was once carried, through the grapevine, I initially refused to actually look up the facts. I could tell this was yet another thing that I could only grieve over and fear.

Instead of news, I stumbled on other people's reactions to the events, as many of us blog-readers do.

The phrase that really stuck, from some random Finnish blog I don't even remember now, so simply put and so life-affirming that I jotted it down on a note and stuck it to the window in front of my desk and now, glance at it every so often:

"What else can you do but to be the counter force? To love like hell."

This, I think applies to all the madness, maliciousness and sadness of the world.

IMG_9680
So, what I have to share from my week of wonders is not so deep as the sea, but full enough of love and sunshine, that I feel it's worth sharing. A small countering force.

IMG_9681
My friend Iris, whom I've known since high-school visited us on the final week of her month-and-a-half tour of the U.S. The weather was less than ideal, but on her last day here, the sun came out in all her glory, just to see us bask in her warmth on Whale Island, the big hilly piece of an entirely different geographical chain, like the furry back of some ancient animal emerging from the primeval ocean.
IMG_9682
We left early just so that we could have breakfast at Dear Bay, at really groovy un-resort-y resort comprised of small cabins, yurts, geo-domes and tents. Their cafe serves local, organic food, good music and movie nights, with a young, hippie wait-staff always ready with a generous smile and a refill on your nettle-tea.
IMG_9685
We ate well, relaxed, drank our tea and coffee while marveling at the sun chasing the mists away.
IMG_9687
I have been the surprisingly often in the last few months, pulled in by the good energy and the magical scenery.
IMG_9689
IMG_9691
Dear Bay is a special place willed with flora and fauna, strange yellow wasps, glittering king fishers and scavenging hobo sparrows.
IMG_9692
IMG_9694
IMG_9705
IMG_9708
We'll return for it's old-time charm and the hot tubs for sure. Oh and a very special event that you're sure to hear about soon.
IMG_9717
IMG_9719
Mt. Sound, is another special place, the highest point in this archipelago, with a sweeping view of everything on this small piece of creation; from island to island, mountains to the east and west and even the sleeping giant of a volcano in the distance.
IMG_9721
IMG_9723

IMG_9728
We no longer have to take these portraits for immigration, but we can still take them for us.
IMG_9729
IMG_9747
On the hillside I spied a creature that Teeny told me the antipodeans call the "wishing flower"; a giant kin of the common dandelion in the fluffy state, ready to spread to the four winds.
IMG_9731
How was I to refuse her my help?
IMG_9738
IMG_9741
Whatever wishes I might have made had I know I could have wished upon her, could not have made the day any more perfect.
IMG_9743
IMG_9750
IMG_9751
We swam in the little lakes on the mountain, ran into some special friends from far off places, a traveling band dipping in the waters.
IMG_9778
Bought beautiful frocks and coats and finery and Mexican-style ice cream right after having some popsicles. Because, for one day, we were on holiday. We ordered six mojitos in the fifteen minutes before happy hour ended. We said goodbye.
IMG_9789
IMG_9798
And then, as I told you before, the traveling band had dried itself off and we danced the night away under the little faux stars.
IMG_9811
IMG_9814
IMG_9815
Until it was time to sail home in the light of the moon.
IMG_9823
That same week we had already ventured to my friend Callie's little house in the woods, where Iris and I were her lovely assistants in teaching a course in dream-catcher making, a trade I was so so happy to learn myself, for Callie makes the most magical dream catchers.
IMG_9576
Her house itself is more than a little enchanted, a place of warmth and beauty.
IMG_9619
IMG_9577
IMG_9578
IMG_9579
IMG_9581
The students were eight marvelous, chatty girls, who talked and traded opinions and ideas and giggled like any womyn will around their handy-crafts. Callie fed them strawberries and peas from her garden and salmonberries from the woods.
IMG_9592
First she took us to her woods to gather materials and give the kids a little impromptu lessons about trees and spirits and natural being.
IMG_9594
One of her two cats followed along eagerly.
IMG_9603
You could tell the kids had a great time and so did we.
IMG_9614
IMG_9623
Along with the usual sights, Iris lucked out on one of the more spectacular sunsets I've seen this summer, in the land of spectacular sunsets. We were on our way to a community contra-dance, all decked out and standing on the shore in awe of this light.
IMG_9631
IMG_9634
IMG_9635
We took pictures and laughed and goofed around.
IMG_9636
IMG_9644
IMG_9646
IMG_9649
And then, later that night we spun and twirled and do-si-do-ed 'till we were hot and dizzy in the head.
IMG_9650
We had fun while she was here.
IMG_9858
And then it was another night of Elephant Revival, another beautiful experience, with kids and elders and everyone in between dancing and clapping and filling the room with energy.
IMG_9863
I hope these guys were able to take some of the energy with them to the road. It's not an easy life zig-zagging across the country, all your belongings in a bag, sleeping in the bus and eating peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches for days on end. We feel so blessed to see these folks time and time again.
IMG_9870

IMG_0110
As intense, beautiful travel goes, consider paddling in an open canoe for down the coast of the Salish sea from Bella Coola to La Conner. Being on the open water among the elements and big boats, the wakes and the waves and wind.
IMG_9903
We live on a beach on which people have fished and dwelled on for thousands of years, connected to each other and the water through beautiful, powerful, slender boats like this and last week, some of them came home.IMG_9905
IMG_0001
IMG_9913
For the first time in a hundred years this many canoes and First Nations people have been to this shore and standing on the beach watching them return it felt just right. Like the land and the sea remembered them. I often wonder about the land's memory, if the soil, or rock itself can contain the energy of people and events.
IMG_9920
IMG_9924
IMG_9930
We felt very blessed too, by the visit, however brief by the many tribes on their way to their final gathering place for this summer's canoe journey.
IMG_9947
IMG_9942
IMG_9948
IMG_0007
IMG_0010
IMG_0018
IMG_0025
IMG_0026
IMG_0028
IMG_0037
IMG_0039
IMG_0040
That night it was comforting to go to sleep to the beating of the drums and songs who's words I didn't understand at all, but who's tone blended perfectly with the night air. Once, a heron, the one that lives in the tree across our house called back to them, perhaps too, remembering something.
IMG_0041
IMG_0042
IMG_0043
IMG_0044
IMG_0045
Not all wonders were huge, swirling, emotional dances. Some were small, delectable pieces of every day life. Fresh raspberries gathered. A whole head of cauliflower with butter and salt and pepper (I got to eat it all. C. doesn't like cauliflower. Crazy.). Crepes from rye and fresh milk, I had milked the night before.

IMG_9872
IMG_9878
IMG_9837
IMG_9827
Small, fearless, careless creatures.
IMG_9834
IMG_9835
And an abundance of gifts. I can hardly believe the treasures Sadie and Nicole have sent me.
IMG_9875
My heart thought it was going to burst with the generosity. I wish I could show you the most marvelous piece from Sadie's package, the one I've worn every day since then, but I'm too shy. You'll get to see everything else in good time. Thank you Sadie, I think of you every morning as I dunk myself in these cold, tidal waters.
IMG_9877
IMG_0161
In Nicole's package was, among other treasures, the dress of my dreams. No literally. I thought I was gonna pass out when I saw it. I swear I've wanted a dress of soft cotton and clouds and pockets for all of my small life and here it was, utterly perfect. And what's more: made in Finland! I didn't get a picture of the tag yet, but you won't believe you eyes.
IMG_0140
Thank you so so much Nicole. From the bottom of my bursting, fluttery heart.
IMG_0184
And as if all this wasn't enough, the night of the Elephant revival show, my friend Ana gifter me with these gorgeous flicker-feather earrings. Flickers are a protector birds of women in local native lore.
IMG_0119
With them, my birthday amulet from Sadie and this row of incandescent crystals from Nicole's Flaming Hag Folkwear jewels I feel like I have all the protection I could ask for. I hope you do too.
IMG_0111
I'd like to dedicate this song I captured from the show here on our little Island to all the small people, the Clovers and Mycies, and little Ferns, counter forces and sources of light.
IMG_9744

20 comments:

  1. Know this much dear Milla. All of your peaceful and happy pictures and words do help to quell the feeling of despair that seems to have fallen all around. Oh, I LOVE that you get to use milk from the cow itself, un-pasteurised and fresh (and I'm assuming anti-biotic free too)...I'm trying to source some here.And why is it that I've never seen golden cauliflower? Golden is surely so much more delightful to eat than plain white! Enjoying your summery pics and posts girl.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWOOOOWWWWW WONDERS!!!! seriously my girl, this is the best treasure chest of wonders i have ever laid eyes upon. i started trying to look at this at work...quickly realized i was going to need full focus and participation for this beauty. it just gets better and better. from dying over dear bay (i soooo want to run and operate a place like that exactly; we need more funky joints like that for travelers) to the mountain views and wishing flower to your lovely laughing waltzes in the magical light. to our dear friendies, elephant revival and their cute and frolicsome digs, and that song that makes my heart weep in the good golden way, and your dedication to the wee ones. and the CANOE TRIP!!! oh my sweetness, a mesmerizing sight those regal ancient boats.

    most of all dear one. i love the way you mention the land; you feel it with your body and soul, even the secret memories held in cells and leaves and droplets, the tiniest bits, the energy that sent the black snake whipping through the leaves (mary oliver)...we know what it is of course, and it is bigger than anyone could have known, and simpler. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with moon..wowoowwowowowowoow!!! Overload of awesomeness and extreme beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your posts are pure magic. that is all. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. i pretty much just had sensory overload from this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you see my note that you were in my dream? The true-life living symbolism of sending you my bright and fiery heart.

    Loving you from afar.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! One heart expanding activity after another, this whole post is just bursting with love and light (even liquid moonlight, so beautiful!!!) and how dreamy you are in that blue sky dress with the white fluffy clouds! I feel like some serious counteracting has gone on right here in this wee corner of the internets :)

    I want to take Callie's dream catcher class!

    Aw, and thank you for the sweet song dedication, I loved it, I love you... like hell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely identify with it being a year of bad things both on a local, global and personal scale, but there have been good things too so that is great advice to hold on to. I love your friend's house in the woods and that gunne saxe you are wearing looks totally like the one I bought recently. I must take a picture of it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're all there with you in this horrible, unsettling feeling that has fallen all around us. But then, oh happiness, a blog post from Milla! And all is well! Thank you for sharing the photos from your latest adventures and daily life, they are so cheering and fun and full of life. ~Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    I haven't commented before, but I've been reading along for some time now, so I guess it's about time I said hi.
    And I really felt I had to comment on this post, I had to say something, even though I really have a hard time finding the right words. To read about what happened in Norway here, caused me to fight the tears I've been fighting for more then a week now once more. But as I read on, got stunned from the all the beauty and love the pictures contains. Making dreamcatchers in a foresty cottage, a dreamy-cloudy dress and pictures you nolonger have to take, but yet still do, and little glimpses of places far far away filled with magic.
    And reading about how this horrible sadness transforms when there is love and beauty all around if only one takes a look, at the end of the post I was smiling again, and enjoying the sunshine and admirering the fog rolling in from the ocean here.
    It is the only way when confronted with such horror, to love. One has to fight fear and hatred with love. In Norway they say nowadays "if one person can cause so much fear and hatred, imagine what millions of people can do when sending out beams of love".
    So, with the risk of sounding like a crazy person, I'll send a little love from Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oletpa taas kokenut ja jakanut niin paljon kaunista,kiitos.
    Itsekään en halua seurata kaikkia maailman tapahtumia,ainakaan sillä nopeudella mitä niitä nykyään syydetään,mutta välillä mietin päästänkö itsen liian helpolla? En tiedä.
    Onneksi maailmassa on kuitenkin edelleen paljon kauneutta ja rakkautta,joka näidenkin kuvien avulla välittyy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love reading your wise words, and those images-wow! your life is bathed in love. the only way to remain sane in this world is to fight back with as much positive energy as possible. and to do what we can . and i see that you and so many others are doing just that, it gives me such hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear milla, in my own search and hunger for our next home, there is so much emotional upheaval that i lose my point of reference...

    ...and then i read posts like this from you, and i re-member...i recall former lives in humboldt, in northern B.C., in mendocino and i have a visceral recollection of how full and nurtured i felt...thank you for reminding me of what i want our family to envision for ourselves. i am overwhelmed by the amount of GOODNESS in your life. thank you for sharing the love, both what you give and receive, be it pretty trinkets or community in ritual and celebration. what you offer gives me hope and reminds me of how place can support, rather than drain, us.

    i definitely think land has memory, and i think the spirits of place miss us...they miss being talked to, acknowledged. i am so happy for the boats coming to shore of your home.

    and finally, thank you for the reminder to love like hell. it always comes back to that. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. i am in total SQUEEEE over those fuzzy grey varmint ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I'm a newcomer to your blog, and just can't get over how beautiful and inspiring your posts are. Just pure magic. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tend to avoid the news as much as possible for much the same reason. All those negative, sad, depressing, frightening stories... I figure, if it's important enough, I'll hear about it somehow else. There's no need for me to go searching out that information, it will come to me.

    I enjoy these posts, where you share all the wonderful things, no matter how small. I do so miss fresh milk, before it's been pasteurized and civilized.

    And those photos from the mountaintop! What a breathtaking place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I am at a loss for words....so I will just say thank you for once again restoring my faith in (online) humanity.

    P.S. so glad you like the dress--it's a super special one, just like you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. As usual, your magical posts make me think of a gazillion things to write in the comment box. I can't think of them now. The cloud dress is so pretty, and you are beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know if you meant to photoshop out the name of the bay, it's still there in the text! I don't know if that was intentional, though, in which case just disregard my comment :

    I love your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Extra Ordinary? I think "extraordinary", remarkable, and very very special, that's who you are.

    ReplyDelete