Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dress your family in tutus and face paint. (Fair part 2.)

So here I am, among the golden leaves and old stone buildings of Helsinki. In some ways it feels as though I never left, and in others, that a long time and many lives have passed since I was last here. It seems odder still when I think that mere ten days ago, I was still frolicking in Tonasket with all the talented, amazing face painters and fairy wing makers. So without further ado: another edition of Barter Fair shenanigans.
IMG_2773IMG_2774
IMG_2777
Another fair maiden without name.
IMG_2779
IMG_2780
The garlic witches and wizards.
IMG_2781
This might be my favorite image of all the Fair.
IMG_2783

IMG_2785
IMG_2786
There were many a plaid merchant, there and no shortage of customers.
IMG_2787
Our gang on the Big Island bus.
IMG_2796
C. making his descent.
IMG_2804
My tipi. It was meant to be.
IMG_2806
IMG_2808
Like I said, Cristina's got some mad skills.
IMG_2809
So do our jugglers.
IMG_2825
IMG_2824
IMG_2828
IMG_2831
Horse patrol.
IMG_2838
Cozy storage dome.
IMG_2844
IMG_2848
IMG_2851
Comfort in style.
IMG_2871
Our camp's fire is always amazing, and this time Saturday night brought some awesome dancers, performing what seemed almost archaic dances, representing different things. Entirely unplanned, different folks stepped into the ring of light and played their part as though in and ancient, meticulously orchestrated play.
IMG_2866
IMG_2869
IMG_2855
IMG_2817
my hunny makes magic happen. As do these mysterious dancers.



That's fair for this year. Next up, Finland.
Love, peace and rye bread.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!
    You are beautiful, your pictures are so incredible wonderful. I so much wanna participate at such an event. But I'm living in Germany and I have no idea, how to find something like this.
    Looks soooooo great.
    I'm really jealous, but very happy for you :)

    xo, Mel

    http://mel-lifesalabyrinth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh, so amazing!! What a beautiful fair.

    If you ever come to Australia, you must come to ConFest. It is very much like what I see here...at night it's like a magical oasis in the middle of the bush with multiple fire circles going and a big marketplace...the fire twirlers and drummers keep us up all night!

    Thank you so much for sharing these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, once again mystical bliss time! my favorite thing is looking at the layers upon layers of pretty clothes on all the peeps, with boots and legwarmers and hats and all the coziness you can imagine. it is still hard for me to imagine bundling up at all down here. and being bundled at a big campout is crazy cozy. that big fire! your cozy island bus! it is all truly dreamy. and now i long for a northwest road trip to match my southwest road trip but with such different climate! think i'll just have to plan one at fair time next year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so rad milla! i would love to go to something like that one day!
    and might i add how lovely you look in front of the tipi with your face paint :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the stuff of dreams... really really good ones! I still can't get over how perfect you look next to that tipi :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like sooo much fun, I live in England and I swear nothing like that ever happens here =( I love the camp fire so much, we sometimes go camping and my dad always has to have the biggest, most awesome fire on the site haha =)

    http://xrebelangelx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathtaking! I can hardly see the point of posting on my blog when such beauty and fun has already captured so brilliantly here. (Oh, but I will...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FUN!!! Can your adventures get anymore cooler?! And to think there are more pictures to come from Finland! I cannot wait!Keep us posted A -LOT!
    XOXOXO
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. what an awesome place to be, looks so magical....

    ReplyDelete
  11. your fair pics are always amazing! I love how in that one photo it looks like you're wearing a horse headress!!!! I can't wait to see some Helsinki too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dudette, I'm totally living in a tipi. Forget real housing.

    You look so beautiful and the fair looks like unbearable amounts of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. all those patterns jumbled together...so perfect! looks like a smashing time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Just came across your blog from Flaming Hag Folkwear- and it's lovely!!!! Those shots are amazing with the mix of bohemian, hippie, indian...tipi's!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always love your photos, especially your fair photos. Totally inspiring.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. you lead an enchanting life. which fortunately for me and others you document very well. have fun in finland!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my heart. Milla!

    Just found your blog, drawn by the name alone, and I am now slightly broken-hearted...
    I have the best, most amazing life, (really, truly blessed) but looking back through your blog has made me SO nostalgic for the girl I was, all those years ago when I first met my man.
    (I do suffer from nostalgia! Badly at times. But LOVE to have my heart broken!)

    What a beautiful, heart-warming, inspiring blog. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing.
    Ciara x

    ReplyDelete
  18. gosh barter faire looks amazing! i would love to go next year. love your pictures. :)
    peace & love!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely little festival! looks like you both had a wonderful/magical time x

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, just came across yoru blog and loved it so much! great photos and event

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks like an amazing time! Your photos really capture the beauty of the event! I love the teepees!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks perfectly beautiful! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. home sweet home.
    perfect. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks lovely. I can't believe how similar the landscape is to where I grew up. I am from the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada. Those rolling hills look identical to where I am from. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete