Saturday, August 14, 2010

That 70s Sassy, or WTF?!?!?

It's a well known style-blogging-phenomena that everyone and their cousin, simply loves Sassy Magazine. What's not to love? The short-lived tween mag (before tweens were even invented!) featured feminism, girl power and pretty much gave us the alternative girl, in the vein of Angela Chase and Enid Coleslaw. There has been nothing like it sense then, or before Sassy. Or has there?

eBay Image Hosting at www.auctiva.com
That's right. I present you with a mysterious magazine cover of a magazine of the same name from 1978! Teen rights, being a natural beauty and 20 things to do before you're 20!

Any amateur sleuths out there? Any former 70s teens? The internets have been most unhelpful in explaining this mystery. Maybe I'll go back to my copy of How Sassy Changed My Life just to check if I somehow missed the little tidbit that there was a teen mag of the same name back in the day.
Brooke Shields Sassy Magazine Cover [United States] (November 1978)
I did uncover this premiere issue, also from 1978. I shall uncover the secrets of this magazine, or my name isn't Nancy Drew! Bess, George, are you with me?

7 comments:

  1. wow! i too loved and lived by sassy throughout the early 90s...and have that book how sassy changed my life as well. didn't you wish the book was somehow more informative? like, what realllllly went on behind the scenes there? i also wish they could publish the old articles. the only thing i have ever regretted purging from my childhood was throwing out my old sassies. i wish so much i could have them back! weird that there was another mag called sassy -- please keep us posted as you get to the bottom of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read How Sassy Changed My Life fairly recently and recall no mention of this! How funny. Yes, please do keep us posted if you learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen an image before of one of these 70's Sassy covers but now I can't remember where and I don't think any background was really explained anyway, hmm, very puzzling. Good luck cracking the case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA, Scott Baio. There was a time there where he was quite a looker.

    This is a pretty intriguing magazine though. Can't wait to see if you find out more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd love to get my hands on a copy, and in turn get my hands on brooke's jacket. a bolero of some sort?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, interesting. Keep up the good work Nancy, inquiring minds want to know...

    ReplyDelete