Monday, August 23, 2010

More Charlie More (He's got it going on)

Folks, this is what happens when you have about a million posts to make, and you're too busy to make them for two whole weeks: THE ATTACK OF THE TEN FOOT MONSTER POST.
B-ham
Last you heard of me, I had a cold, and was debating wether to go the Bonnie Prince Billie concert on the mainland. No brainer. Of course we did. The way I managed to get sick, was that C. got sick and I, in my fresh juice and healthy livin' hubris somehow thought I was immune to what ever bug he had. On Saturday I even went to the annual barn dance (still no pics, maybe next year).

We scratched the camping trip, sadly sending Nick and Talu out on their own, and agreed to rendez-vous with them on Tuesday in Bellingham. C. and I spent an uneventful two days watching movies, hanging out and me learning to drive.

Then on Monday night tragedy struck! I started feeling very sniffly and feverish.

My Kind of Farm
Undeterred, I bundled up in my big shawl and insisted on visiting the BreadFarm in Bow, just off the freeway in the valley.
Welcome to breadfarm
bread-art
Nothing is ever open when we visit Bow, but it's the cutest little town, and worth stopping by just for BreadFarm's delicious Tonasket Rye.
Ducky Lumpster
I'd love to get inside this little recycle store one of these days.
Handsome
Backyard Splendor
They have the most interesting window displays and backyard.
Sea level
I have no idea what this little place is, but it looked really interesting.
Aladdin's cave
Thankfully the antiques row in Bellingham is always open when we go, AND C. discovered the used boat part store, truly the only place I could not find a single thing I cared for. (I usually do well in hardware stores and the like.)
Cup and girl
Frocks
Bonnets
Hats
Doily for you
Bogie and me
In spite the delirious two hour tour of Aladdin's Cave, I found not a single thing I felt I needed. One of the reasons I love antique malls is that they're like layman museums, where you can browse endlessly, if you so desire.
the cup-etaria
Aladdin's however was more like a fun-house. Behold the first ever from the mirror outfit shot in the history of this blog:
Who's the crazy troll
C.'s practicing his angry troll look. Hot for the fall season.
Willow! Wiiiillooow!
Willooow! Willoow!
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Poster that mysteriously disappeared shortly afte this picture was taken.
Sniffles outfit
Yours truly in her gig-outfit, which was overly warm for the weather. Going for the practical, I decided against my previous BPB-dress and went with this little number that Missa brought me from Portland (?) when they came to visit last year.
Island Life (Day 2) In the Forest
(Man I look preggo in this pic!)
Lovely as it was it had rounded sleeves that made it hard to wear with the requisite Pacific Northwest cardis and jackets, so I removed those and took one tier off to make it shorter. It is the pretties pattern and comfiest cut so I'm happy to have made it extra wearable. Thanks again Missakin.
Cur-razy
Add one of my butterflies, s**t kicking boots (bartered from my friend Sona), the big Russian scarf from mama, trusty denim jacket and Dump bag and I was ready. To down a bunch of whisky and beers to try to keep my cold off.
Prince
There is a light
Light
I was only able to stay awake on the strength of the drinks, but what really cured me, was the giant plate of cheese fries we had next door after the show. They were so gross, yet so yummy.
Talu
Take a bow
After sleeping for a few hours in the back of the Volvo, I was ready to head to work. The next night I felt well enough to go out again, and a good thing too because the amazing Dovekins, whom we saw when my mom was here, brought their crazy/wicked energy back to the Island.
awesome
the most
Watch for these guys playing near your homestead, they f***ing rock!
Elisabeth
are
Dovekins
Acoustically, no less. They have such a beautiful, wild vibe. There was a very decent crowd, all my home girls and boys and awesome dancing.
Plaid lover anonymous
Not to mention red plaid anonymous. Next meeting soon?
Art By Laine
Check out this awesome poster drawn up by the lovely and talented Laine. It mysteriously disappeared after this picture was taken. Sadly (for you) I'm always more interested in dancing than taking photos and video, but luckily you can join in on the fun.
For us this magical night did not, however end with the last call. Instead we rowed (well the boys did, Talu and I just sat in the stern and giggled) home Nick's old rowboat, watching the phosphorescent in the glassy water, and the shooting meteors coming down from the sky.
It couldn't have been a more perfect night.

Now speaking of perfect nights, you California girls and boys have a chance to have one when Elephant Revival comes to Santa Cruz, Berkeley and Arcate in two weeks! Now if there's anyone out there who wants a free ticket to one of the shows, and has time to put some posters up this week email me at princessmilla2shoes@gmail.com.

Join the Elephant Revival Street Team and you'll make my friend Sue very very happy!

Rock on till the next post my loves!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like even with the cold you sure managed to have some serious fun. The Willoooow! picture gets me every time, so hilarious. What an awesome couple of days, from the music to the phosphorescence, sounds crazy perfect to me and I love the alterations you made to the dress, much more wearable now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great time, cold and all! there is something very wrong about being sick in the summer. the two just aren't the best combo. my youngest, shane, was recently sick and had a high fever, add a 100 degree day and you get one miserable little fella.
    the mirror pictures rule. kinda makes me want to see willow again...hehehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, those vintage hats at Aladdin's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. in spite of your illness, it seems you are having quite an idyllic summer, what with being rowed home under a starry sky! sounds heavenly. so glad you made it to see bonnie billy. i love love love him! and all that thrifty goodness! preshy! hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. run, poster bandit, run!

    rowboat under the stars = bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just youtube the dovekins. they are great! she got it going on all right.

    p.s. that thrift store you visited looks like a treasure trove

    ReplyDelete
  7. as i swelter here right now, even on the "milder" days i cannot even imagine being able to wear scarves, boots, leggings, and jackets...wow! that is some true pacific northwestern attire! and i must admit at this point it is looking deliciously cozy and inviting. so glad you got to go to some rad shows and drink whiskey and eat cheese fries, what a wonderful combination, the dreamteam of recovery i must add. my life is sadly lacking of shows as of late; probably due to my refusal to drive for hours (santa cruz, sf, etc) and my sadness that the days of cool bands playing in sacramento are OVER,(okay, besides locals who are undeniably cool too) anyway it is fun to take a peek into the bellingham world after reading my beloved The Living by Annie Dillard about the history and settling of that area. No wonder there are such relics of vintage beauty, perhaps there is a haunting of the past there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Your photos made me miss Bellingham.. I used to live up the street from that antique mall and have spent many a rainy afternoon there. Did you eat at the Old Town Cafe, right across the street? They have yummy breakfasts, sweet communal tables and live bluegrass music on Sunday morning!

    Sadly, I don't live in the Pacific Northwest anymore. But I am visiting in a week or two. And was wondering if you have any recommendations when it comes to camping in the Islands. Any help would be great!

    ReplyDelete