Monday, May 17, 2010

Horsing around

What is it? What is it?

You know those paintings in the caves of Lascaux, France, that were pictured in your history book? The one's with the running bulls and deer and horses?

As a child I remember being fascinated by them, just as I was by the tombs of the Egyptian rulers and the ruined cities of the Mayans. Trying to imagine life before us, this current incarnation of humanity that we are, one could literally feel one's mind expanding, grappling with a notion too big and ancient for its small understanding.

While I have retained this interest in lost cultures into adulthood (most recently in the form of obsession with bog bodies), it had never occurred to me to wear it. That is until my team of archeologists (that would be Talu) and I discovered this 60s Lascaux-dress in the caves of Red Light Vintage in the ancient city of Portland Oregon.
Now I'm the first to admit I own many beautiful frocks, (perhaps one too many) but this is the fairest of them all.
It's like all my childhood dreams of prairies and Nangijala and every other mythical horse country rolled into one happy, sunny garment! It literally is like wearing a painting, or as the case may be, the wall of a cave, smeared expertly with minerals and moving shadows from the firepit.


I waited for a very special occasion to bust it out and yesterday's even certainly was special: two of our friends are having a baby and the mother to be invited us (my mother and I) to a women's circle to celebrate and share. It was a beautiful sunny day in her sisters garden and most all of the wonderful women I know here were there, a treat for my mama to get to be a part of.
One of our friends invited all women who are not mothering children into the circle, to call respect to the fact that that being a mother is not the only act of mothering. We mother each other, our gardens, our animals, and hopefully this planet too. As I may have stated before, our community is very momma-centric, which can sometimes be hard if you're not one, something people don't often take into account and so it was nice to hear this acknowledged and share this love with these mothers and grandmothers and unborn and born babies.
Those words got me thinking about this poster we have hanging on the wall at home, and how important it is to see us all as part of a community, not just the people in our immediate presence. I'm glad I am connected to you ladies this way, an electric circle of women.
Laughter and tears and soon a new baby to meet, life is good. Hope it is so in your corner of this beautiful Earth.

19 comments:

  1. it's beautiful! the colors alone are killing me, and the folk art prints inside the horses, and the wild motion of it bounding across your body, and soft summer shape and lightness, that is one hell of a dress. and i'm glad you saved it for such a lovely occassion and i'm super glad your momma got to be with you and the ladies for such a respectful honoring celebration night. that poster by the way is amazing and i wish all children of the world knew that rhyme. also i had to look up Nangijala because the word is heart-cringingly beautiful and now i'm mildly obsessed with the brothers lionheart. the kids in the film look like my nephew orion who i posted about in march, that hair! did you ever see the film? i want to read about this land of camping and storytelling. sounds like, i hope, my upcoming summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so interesting. That sounds like a very special experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pantsuit that has to be from the same maker / fabric company as your dress. Except mine is blue where yours is green and green where yours is orange. And pants. But, I understand your love because I certainly adore mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress, beautiful post. I'm most definitely envious of that frock- the patterns and bright colors are like a dream. And that poster is just amazing. I wish we kids had learned that instead of the Pledge of Allegiance... it's infinitely more powerful. Infinitely more important too, if you ask me. A reverence for nature is something that needs to be taught young, although somewhere inside us all, the love and respect is present. We just have to tap back into the feeling, recognize the thread that runs from the heart to the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is awesome, and that mothering circle sounds awesome. It seems like the only kind of mothering that's accepted in our society is that that occurs between mother and child. Nice to see the definition being expanded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute dress! The pattern is lovely

    http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in LOVE with your dress, but your message was just as beautiful and magical. Funny, for a change I see your side of the world bright and sunny while it's grey and raining here in LA. Thanks so much for sharing your fresh and positive energy, it was passed right along.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a quirky dress, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your piccies and words have made me smile today- it gave me comfy cozy feelings. :) thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dress and I love the sentiments of this post!

    There's apparently an old Finnish film about a witch who comes to life from a bog speaking of bog bodies - I was wondering if you have seen that one?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is pure beauty Milla! From you in your amazing frock to your experience with the women's circle to your sentiments about community in all it's forms...

    So glad to be a part of your "electric circle of women", I love that description!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the colors and shapes in that dress combine to perfection, and it looks fantastic on you against your brown hair, so vibrant. sounds like a great day, glad for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, so much beauty! How sweet of that woman to recognize the mothering aspect to so much of what women (and men) do every day.

    And Milla, that dress. Wow. So gorgeous. The colors! The fabric combos. It was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I apologize for my English bu I am not good. I am here completely accidentally. You have excellent style of dressing, such what I like :) I will come back not once here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a lovely post (for my return to blog world)! I'm enamored by your lovely frock as well as your never ending collection of amazing mocs, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohh you look so beautiful! i love your boots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so vibrant! those colors look good on you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may live in the best community I've ever heard of!

    ReplyDelete