Wednesday, March 10, 2010

This day is no special day

Some days I get kind of sick of harping on about my clothes. Because of the way I dress, a lot of people seem to think clothing is my raison d'être. Don't get me wrong, I love clothes (I mean would I be posting them online otherwise?), and enjoy playing dress-up, but when it comes right down to it, most mornings I spend exactly five minutes on getting dressed. Some folks appear to believe that I contemplate each outfit for aeons. Who's got the time? Five minutes for clothes hair and tooth brushing. Life is short, mornings are shorter.

This morning it just happened that I dressed like "a civil war re-enactor with a very vague sense of history", as my husband so delicately put it.
Whatever, I am totally going to make this skirt my uniform, it's so pretty and comfortable. Thanks Mali. The I. Magnin children's coat was Dump find last year, and a fine one at that. It's warm and stylish, and one of the buttons is fixed with a safety pin. That's what I call class, kids.
About the only moment of restfulness today came when I got to talk to my girls and sew these cool patches onto my new-old rucksack. The patches totally rock, right? I have however been noticing how hard it is for me to have plain things, like say, unadorned rucksacks, black T's, or simple skirts. Everything I own is patterned and clashes horribly, but I guess I don't care.
The weather here has been insane, with gusts, hale, rain, snow and and sunshine. The wind seems to be making the weather. It moves particularly fast this close to the water. Right now, I can hear the trees creaking, bending in the back yard. It's kind of spooky, but also lovely to go to bed to.
The changeable weather forces one to layer pieces that can easily transform into a warmer, or cooler outfit. I've been biking around everywhere today; to walk the dog to home, to milk the cow, to the Dump. It was my first day of milking in a long time and it was harder than I remembered. Hopefully I can pick it up soon. In addition to all these activities I made grated root-soup and pan-bread.
That's pretty much what went on here today. What about your world?
The title of this post takes its name after a Bowerbirds song that I couldn't find online, so I'm playing this instead. This guy is pretty much my soundtrack these days. He's got a new album coming out with the AWESOME title The Wild Hunt.
That's over and out from this pretentious seeming hippie corner. Tell me if you're getting tired of my ramblings...

15 comments:

  1. lady, i love your hippy corner so much. the skirt rocks. the backpack is the perfect camping companion for when the four wind brothers calm themeslves down. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramble on my friend!

    Speaking of being made fun of (and as much as I adore this outfit immensely, gotta give C. some credit 'cause that's a pretty good one), I got my first ever mean anonymous comment on my blog today... they said I dress like a twelve-year-old. Which isn't bad in itself, but in context they obviously meant it to be mean. I could care less what they think but the fact that they went through the trouble to actually let me know is kind of a bummer but what ev's, right?

    In other news of the day I went thriftin' while Clover was at the farm and picked up a few things including a super cute lil' vintage straw hat w/ a black velvet bow :) and finished reading Franny and Zooey for book club which was this evening. Liked that book a lot.

    Everyone's asleep so I can't listen to the video right now but I'm looking forward to checking it out tomorrow... nighty night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. like your sweet posts so much!
    here in cubicle city they bring a nice fresh air
    but the past weekend I went to the library for books and dvds, walked boyfriend's dog, shopped at the almost expired foods shop (weird and funny stuff to buy there) and found a poppy painting throwon on the curb!
    all in all a lovely way to pass time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style so much!
    And your hippie corner!
    I wish I was so close to nature too.
    C:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your style so much!
    And your hippie corner!
    I wish I was so close to nature too.
    C:

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never get sick of your "ramblings"!
    i have a few things to say- 1. that outfit is so adorable! the skirt is a gem for sure. 2. do you have a cow or a goat? i hope to one day have cow. i know this would be quite a responsibility with the milking and all, but to have fresh raw milk and cheese would be well worth it. 3. love the patches and backpack. way cool! 4.i just read your previous post, i'm very interested in that bar soap shampoo. i have been through so many different shampoos, trying to find one that isn't toxic, doesn't make my hair completely greasy but still does the job. at this point i have to wash my hair every other day! i hate it. once a week (or longer)would be amazing.
    alright, i'm done. hope you have a great day :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. No don't stop! I love your blog and your posts about your awesome clothing choices! You inspire me to be more creative with what I wear and I love that. So NOOOOO don't stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lovely you are! Very flattered you like my blog : ) I look foward to ALL your posts daily so I'll post more if you do! And believe me, you are such a free and kind spirit that anything you write about will be wonderful to us.
    Much Love,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I love the orange beret, it adds just the right kick to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep on with the ramblings, one of the best things about your blog is that it's not pretentious!

    Hippie is cool in whatever form it takes and the plain or whatever look is overrated! colours and patterns all the way I say.

    I'm working in my office today and wearing a brightly coloured floral dress. I'd hate to be corporate :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah the wild and wooly days. your wind reminds me of a song darin made called "essence of waves" that says something like "there is a wind theory of chaos and beauty, of high and low and each and in between; there is a wave theory of falling and crashing, rising its endless endlessly."

    okay, does your skirt have a built-in petticoat, cause wow. i love that ruffle peeking out underneath, and the shawl, patches, rucksack, mits, the whole shebang. i too have trouble keeping anything simple, understated or plain. these do not exist in my house or closet and i guess i'm okay with that. and i must say the outfits you "throw" together come out looking so lovely and confident it seems they are thoughtfully planned so methinks you've got an innate knack for style and that's that. civil war outfits are the bomb. i'd love if bonnets came into style, though i'd probably never rock one since i love the sun on my cheeks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha! I laughed out loud at your husband's interpretation of your outfit.
    Keep on clashing, you do it beautifully! The clash isn't deafeningly loud; instead it is perfectly tuned in able to be absorbed by the observer - just as colour is meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never get tired of your ramblings! I love hearing about what's going on with you, big and small. I have to admit I am a little jealous of your life, it seems so wonderful.

    I'm single, my family is all hours away, I live in a tiny apartment in the downtown core of a major city, and I work a desk job that I absolutely hate. Someday, I plan on buying lots of land, building myself a self-sustaining home, and raising cows and pigs and chickens.

    I have to say, I noticed you seem to be wearing a lot of yellow lately... and I remember you saying you actually hate wearing yellow a while back? Change of heart? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i never tire of your happenings posts :) And as a historian, I'd say you're pretty spot on with this outfit. Very mid-19th century if you ask me.

    I too am giddy about your milking.... reading post 2 for the deets.

    ReplyDelete