Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Hummingbirds and Meadowlarks

Another week, another summertime activity package. Like you don't have anything better to do, than to hang out by the computer...

First off, I hate to brake it to you, but fall is just around the corner. To ease the pain, I recommend looking for some key pieces for an autumnal wardrobe. Here's some of my current favorites:

Vintage Camel Fur Coat

When I was just a wee lass, my auntie had a camel fur coat, which at the time seemed to me to be height of sophistication.

The Simone Cousteau Dress

Stripe-y dress in the style of Marimekko, is a must.

The Joni Mitchell Vest

As is a velvet-y vest, in true hippie fashion.

But for now there is still summer to enjoy. Speckled sunshine, butterfies flitting, giant squash growing with reckless abandon. That's right. Make some zucchini bread.

3 eggs
1 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chocolate chips or a combination thereof (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans, liberally. Alternately, line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as nuts, chocolate chips and/or dried fruit, if using.

Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.

Bake loaves for 60 minutes, plus or minus ten, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Muffins will bake far more quickly, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.


Sweet, now that you have that covered why not catch up on some reading (preferably in your hammock). I recommend the Book of the Week:


Clouds to ride, beach treasures to be found, and jungles to be grown in your house, a visit to Moomin Valley is exactly what you need on a hot summer's day.


And take with you your pocket knife for whittling is the craft of the season, pointless and fun, and surprisingly artistic. I give you whittling:



And to neatly cap things off I give you this inspirational whittling outfit.
New little hat :) by thriftcandy.
Brought to you by the most inspirational Brownie of all, Missa. Now get to working on that bird calling whistle!

7 comments:

  1. Tee hee -- love the "whittling outfit." I agree with you about the camel coat -- I have my mom's camel coat that she used to wear in her early 20's and it never goes out of style!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great choices all around but i especially love that coat and the first dress...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to cry, but that pretty mustard coat makes fall seem less scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaa! Berry Williams is a hoot. He makes me want to put on my suit and whittle a boot ;)

    p.s. Lucas' mom whittles, I should have her give me some pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once on a childhood family camping trip I took up a bit of fallen wood and a pocket knife and created a spoon. It was the first and last time I tried my hand at whittling, but I was thinking about it just the other day. I thought it would be fun to try again...and here it is like you read my mind!

    Also, yay! You can come to my island anytime....maybe when you get tired of fall and decide you need some summer again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep on posting such articles. I like to read blogs like that. By the way add more pics :)

    ReplyDelete