Saturday, March 7, 2009

Guilty as charged.


I'm gonna go ahead and say that there's nothing more pleasurable than a guilty pleasure.


They are clandestine by definition, trusted only to one's nearest and dearest. These likes a often the most revealing thing about a person, if you can suss them out, that is.

The thing about guilty pleasures is that while they're often socially unacceptable, they are only kept secret until they become acceptable again, and most often they do; especially in these days of "ironically" loving bacon, the Olsen twins and Gossip Girl. For years I secreted my love for 90s out-of-date-fashions, and now suddenly it's cool to channel Angela Chase once more.

The problem with the whole "guilty" aspect of loving something uncool, or unsophisticated, is that you are, in essence, just being disloyal to yourself. If you're that uncomfortable with your secret, undying passion for something, what does that say about you as person?

In elementary school, I even went so far as to claim to have an older brother, when my class mates caught me at the library with some comic books. I certainly never want to be that insecure again.

So you know what, I am going to expose some of my long-standing guilty pleasures, and you can follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!

1. Guilty Pleasure: 1990s teen movies (or just teen flicks in general). Particularly the brilliantly written feminist epic 10 Things I Hate About You:




It always makes my knees buckle a little when Heath Ledger's character "sacrifices himself on the altar of dignity" by singing this here below song:




Ah,
Empire Records. Written by one former Tower employee for all of us Tower employees. "Open 'till midnight!"




"Damn the Man! Save the Empire!"

See also: Bring It On, Dazed and Confused, and yes, you heard me, She's All That. And no, I'm not ashamed of myself, on behalf of all my fellow film geeks who seriously spend their downtime enjoying Tarkovsky and extolling the virtues of trying to find a narrative thread in Lost Highway.

2. Guilty Pleasure: Comic books. While it's become a lot more socially acceptable for a girl to be into comics, it is still very much the case that in order to do so, you have to dye your hair green and study library science, if you want to find folks who think comic books normal coffee table conversation. And those people have the tendency to refer to them as graphic novels.

Whatever. I'm still totally into the adventures of the Roman era hero Alix, and her equally shirtless side-kick Enak:


The 60s British gentleman-astronaut Jeff Hawke:



And the very books I was trying to hide that fateful day in elementary school, Valerian & Laureline.






3. Guilty Pleasure: Bad 90s pseudo-rock. The Cranberries, Soul Asylym, Alanis Morissette.





Isn't it ironic? Well not really.

4. Guilty Pleasure: In the vein of comic books, I give you scifi. I just really enjoy musing on the concept of The Pilman Radiant in Stalker, and debating the prophetic aspects of Neal Stephenson's Snowcrash. And I'm proud of it to boot.

5. Guilty Pleasure: Frivolous shit. Like fashion blogs, all things clothes-related and even that messy-haired poster-child for denying internet from your children, Cory Kennedy. These may seem like a weird pleasure to feel guilty about, but I was raised in a household where vanity was regarded as giving into the capitalist marketing notions that deprive women their self-esteem and true value as intellectual individuals.



I admit it. I totes xoxo Cory Kennedy! It seems no one can help me now/I'm into deep/ there's no way out...Now what is your guilty pleasure?

Listening to: Soul Asylum (how, by the way, does a 90s one-hit-wonder band even HAVE a myspazz account?!?!?)
This post is dedicated to Olga, Helmut Lotti's number 1 fan!


14 comments:

  1. Great blog!! I've just been having a good little read of your posts and enjoying them very much.

    The guilty pleasures post gave me a giggle...ahh the 90's! Now I feel like listening to the Cranberries and watching Empire Records.

    My long standing guilty pleasure would have to be knitting I was happy when it became cool again a few years back as it meant I no longer felt I could only do it behind closed doors for fear of being called a granny. Nothing wrong with grannies though x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, some of my guilty pleasure are the same as yours!
    To 90's teen movies, I will add 80's teen movies (or teen movies in general. I love She's All That and 10 Things I Hate About You. 80's dance movies are a big guilty pleasure as well: dirty Dancing, Flashdance, Footloose, Fame!...okay, let's face it I like cheesy movies in general.

    I LOVE comic books. The ones that I read the most when I was young were The Surfs and Astérix (both in French), now I read all kinds of comic books and graphic novels, and I talk about it a lot...
    I love Sci Fi movies and I am a huge fan of Star Wars. I talk about it a lot these days, I don't really feel guilty about it anymore, but it is something I kept secret when I was in high school, since people thought it was weird for a girl to like those things...

    Oh I'm sure there is more than that. I feel really guilty still about watching America's Next Top Model sometimes. It goes against most of my taste in general and my opinion about reality TV, but i find it funny and I love the photo shoots. Oh well :)

    Have a great day!

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, why can't you live closer so we can dress up in 90's outfits and have teen movie nights and eat peppermint pattys while flipping through the pages of Nylon and listening to Liz Phair? Sigh...

    Oh man, did I reeeeally just turn 37? Not to mention, I'm somebody's mom! Oh well, here's to frivolous shit and the joy it brings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Yes!!! #1 and #3 totally. We must be around the same age, lol at She's All That - I think that is the most guilty as it is horrible but i love it. The 90s music for sure, that was right when cds were coming out, was huge into Alanis, still am. :-) I wanna do one of these Guilty posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say I agree with what you're saying in this post! All those teenage films and comics were such fun. The comics I read/ still quite enjoy reading have never been cool. As time has gone on I've cared less and less about 'fitting in'. I've also been enjoying reading your blog - lots of interesting posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilty pleasure #s 1 & 2: I love Hillary Duff and the Olsen Twins. Why, god why??

    PS love 10 things I hate about you! Ever seen She's All That? I'm such a sucker for corny makeover movies. I even liked the Hottie and the Nottie. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was in British Esquire where I read that the term "guilty pleasure" is bollocks - as though we can only enjoy certain things if we do so with extreme irony. I say enjoy what you enjoy, and guilt be damned. For example, Armeggedon. Now that's how you make a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, I love 90s teen flicks! And bring on all the 90s music too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhh! i just watched heath's rendition of "eyes" 6 times, thanks to you.. :)

    my guilty pleasure is eating jam with a spoon. raspberry bon maman is my favorite...
    xo s

    ReplyDelete
  10. well, I must be uncool too. cuz i love all of that. specially the 90's music. Never seen empire records though, adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a sci fi convert!! I LOVE battlestar galactica and Firefly (bring it back!!) And i'm a fashion blog addict too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, i LOVE this! it's nice to know there's another girl into comics AND fashion. i think mine is referring to them as graphic novels (i especially love the sandman and watchmen-i was so happy when that came out), pretending i'm a REAL gibson girl (i loved that post, too) and writing romances to myself despite insisting that i hate soppy stuff to all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm simultaneously shocked and delighted to hear that you're a fan of Bring it On.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what, soul asylum has myspace? do they have a new album coming out? :D this is a nice post, reminds me how old I am :p

    ReplyDelete