Thursday, September 11, 2008

About A Girl

The Gibson Girl-style was perhaps the first decidedly American fashion-phenomenon, invented in the form a series of pin-up drawings by the illustrator Charles Dana Gibson.


Not only was she beautiful, with her signature hair-do and hour-glass shape, but she was also free-spirited (in so much as it was possible in that constricting corset), funny and even sporty. She went to college, played tennis, travelled, and was even pictured as somewhat of an equal to the men in her circles, though obviously she did not get to vote, and had little prospects outside of marriage.
Nonetheless, the gibson girl was the feminine ideal for a more modern era, and definitely a beauty standard fit for the New World, which had for much of its history been following the trends of Europe, rather than creating it's own. Certainly her arrival paved the way to the revolutionary styles of the Jazz Age, for the gibson girl often favored shorter skirts than what was accustomed to, and required sporty outfits for such past-times as swimming and tennis.

While one does not want aspire to having the freakishly small waist, or the ridiculous beauty and attitude notions of the era, there is something utterly alluring about the Gibson Girl. For me at least, the piled-on-top-of-the-head hair has been an object of (mostly unfulfilled) yearning, since 6th grade. Its extravagant, yet carefree look sets off a modern outfit perfectly, adding a touch of class and elegance, and it is fairly easy to do if you have long hair. (Bangs are a problem, alas.)

Witness this Helsinki-beauty pull it off, with a perfect Gibson-esque blouse, and high-waisted jeans (and a bag featuring one of Tove Jansson's Moomin-characters):


Image from Hel-looks

Easy instructions for the hair-do are available here. I'm off to try them myself. Followed, perhaps by a rousing game of tennis, a walk on the beach (parasol included), and some drinks at the club. I hear they have a divine new pianist.

20 comments:

  1. All right, your lovely post has convinced me, I need to try this hair style. Wish me luck!

    How cool is that Moomin bag?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. These kinds of girls are inspiring in a slightly wrong way for the feminist in me...
    P.S. This reminds me of a Bolles girl inspired shoot Johanni on flickr did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johanni/sets/72157594567007866/

    ReplyDelete
  3. you read my mind. as i'm staring at this delightful photograph, thinking to myself, "man, i wish i knew how to style my hair like that," one line later, you went ahead and provided me with "the link." what resources! what savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the victorian era was splendid wasn't it? I have always been so inspired by the Gibson girl as well, and as you have noted--there is no way I will ever have that small of a waist (due to not wanting to resort to those rib crushing corsets) or a large blossoming bosom. I love all their crinolines, and high neck blouses and the updo's as well. Wonderful post!
    Ciao dear,
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making this connection. It really brings out her look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that shame i have a fringe and my hairs a bit short for it ;'(. LOvely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    My name is Audrey Rogers. I am style editor for The Durham Sanctuary University Newpaper, I also am a contributor for fashionverbatim.net and have my own blog: www.befrassy.com. I just wanted to say, that I LOVE your blog, its content is truly inspirational and I love the way you present fashion to your blogger audience. Yours has, I must admit, become a must-read for me. Anyway, I was wondering, would you like to exchange links? Personally I would love to reccommend your blog to my readers and would really appreciate it if you did the same for me. So let me know, check me out on www.befrassy.com, for some delicious fashion ramblings and digressions!

    xxxx audrey leighton rogers

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post.i love the drawing by charles dana gibson.all these pics remind me to the ancien régime.
    that girl makes the look modern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome post - i wish i could try that hair style but alas my hair is too short and extremely fine so everything falls out :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. interesting post... i'm going t have to give the hair a try one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous post! <3
    Thanks for that sweety.
    You inspired me to make a hair do like this myself, but i am afraid it will look horrible....haha

    <3

    Mila.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is really great. im going to try the hairstyle myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-women-during-wwii.html]russian women during wwii[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-and-ukrainian-women.html]russian and ukrainian women[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/nude-russian-women-photos.html]nude russian women photos[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-brides-free-photos.html]russian brides free photos[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  14. [url=http://pretty.reira.ru/young-russian-girls-sites.html]young russian girls sites[/url] [url=http://pretty.reira.ru/hot-russian-woman-young.html]hot russian woman young[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  15. [url=http://plain.reira.ru/lone-russian-women.html]lone russian women[/url] [url=http://plain.reira.ru/mail-order-bride-reality.html]mail order bride reality[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  16. u ever saw such before ? [url=http://tinyurl.com/5555830931]so sexy.[/url]

    just a bit help and i get pics unlocked

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed reading this article.Thanks.Excellent information here. This interesting post made me smile. Maybe if you throw in a couple of pics it will make the whole thing more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This blog is very informative. It is very interesting and i have enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing your ideas about the law of attraction. I'm happy i found your site. russian marriage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your post is really interesting, you have your own ideas, i love reading it. Thanks for such a cool blog. provigil

    ReplyDelete