Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hippie Girls Do It Better

In my humble opinion, that is. If you, on the other hand, still need some convincing, here goes:



Sleeping in the Forest

I thought the earth remembered me,
she took me back so tenderly,
arranging her dark skirts, her pockets
full of lichens and seeds.
I slept as never before, a stone on the river bed,
nothing between me and the white fire of the stars
but my thoughts, and they floated light as moths
among the branches of the perfect trees.
All night I heard the small kingdoms
breathing around me, the insects,
and the birds who do their work in the darkness.
All night I rose and fell, as if in water,
grappling with a luminous doom. By morning
I had vanished at least a dozen times
into something better.
-Mary Oliver-

12 comments:

  1. Oh, you KNOW I don't need convincing! Thanks for the purty pictures though and the lovely words! That poem reminded me how excited I am about the camping trip we're planning for next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hippie women perhaps, but hippie men...not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately very inspiring...you've convinced me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I just wanted to say you have a lovely, lovely blog! I adore the first picture - is that Penelope Tree? The poem is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really never been a fan of hippie girls, but lately...it feels so right. I still think I'm too "prim" to attempt some of their combinations, but now I admire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, amazing words and beautiful pictures. i love the one by the water. your blog is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS!!!!
    Both the poem and the pictures..
    I am in LOVE with the girl on the third picture...

    :) Mila.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I need take on more aspects of this style, its how I feel in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi milla i like ur blog and ur photo
    coz, i like hippies too...
    -"flower Generation"-

    ReplyDelete
  10. diggin the sweater in 2nd to bottom photo. great post!

    ReplyDelete