Saturday, May 10, 2008

Four Winds Blowing Through Her Hair

Before there were Harajuku Girls, Goths, Punks, Hippies, Hipsters, girls who wear exclusively vintage, and boys who wear exclusively lame band T-shirts, one's identity could be expressed trough clothes in a much simpler manner. Folk dresses and regional costumes were an early precursor of individual style, not only in that they expressed one's geographical origins, but also one's taste and artistic ability, as they were self-made. It could take a girl several years to make the laces, ribbons and embroidery necessary for her dress. In my humble opinion, that kinda beats buying your identity off the rack.
Folk influences come up in high street fashion at regular intervals, most recently a couple of years ago, when Slavic styles were briefly popular. Since the last time folk dressing enjoyed a widespread popular revival was the glorious 70s, I'm expecting to see a lot of folk influences this coming summer. The ubiquitousness of Oxacan-inspired dresses and tops seems to be pointing towards Frida Kahlo-esque South American folk; though here in the cold, melancholy North Eastern Europe, we'll always have a soft spot for flowered Russian scarfs and painted brooches.

Listening to: Bright Eyes

7 comments:

  1. does marimekko (or sirkka-mallisto, as my niece called it) count as modern regional /national costume? :D tasaraita long sleeve tee does make me feel all finnish!! rantakallioita ja graavilohiruisleipää!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My greatest fear is becoming a hipster snob. luckily Im not cool so I should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. unicorns: I think Marimekko totally counts! and maybe even ivanahelsinki and rinne niinikoski and nanso, because when ever you see them on people abroad you're all full of national pride, and also wonder if they're finnish;)

    madison: you ARE too cool! But luckily in your own unique unsnobbish way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother dressed my sisters and I am German folk dresses when we were young. We were quite the set, all blonde and blue-eyed (before my hair darkened) in our little outfits complete with crisp aprons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a modern take on this is how girls are now thrifting interesting items of clothing and taking them back to their sewing machines to alter them and make them their own. I’d like to become more adept with my neglected sewing machine to be able to do this myself! My mother-in-law was getting rid of some old sewing patterns recently and even though I don’t really sew, I had to take one of them just because it’s so cool. It’s a Folkwear (Patterns from Times Past: Edwardian Underthings) pattern from 1978 and it includes a camisole, petticoat, and bloomers and has a really cool illustration on the envelope. I may have to learn to sew just to make the bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Before there were Harajuku Girls, Goths, Punks, Hippies, Hipsters, girls who wear exclusively vintage, and boys who wear exclusively lame band T-shirts" hahaha so true !! traditional costumes can be so inspiring !

    ReplyDelete