Friday, April 11, 2008

Odd Hobbies


If I had to name the one thing that has affected my personal style the most, it'd be a close tie between my 50s paper-dolls and Holly Hobbie. That's right: Holly Hobbie, the 70s, 80s icon that graced a variety of items a little girl might own. Her bonneted likeness could be found on mugs, notebooks, jewelry, lunch-boxes, you name it, she was on it. Originally conceived as a nameless greeting-card figure in the early 1970s, she quickly became known as the illustrator's namesake. Holly (the character) is a sort of universal American pioneer girl, apt at such pioneer girlish pastimes as sewing, cooking, and gardening. While she's gentle and kind, she seems to also posses the character and spunk, that epitomizes New World girl heroines, from Laura Ingalls Wilder (another fashion icon), to Anne of Green Gables and Jo of Little Women. She's always wearing something cute, cozy and romantic; from her signature patchwork apron over her blue prairie dress and matching bonnet, to shorter, more Gunne Sax-like numbers. Which is why, altrough my teens and twenties she's been lurking in the back of my head, whispering in my ear about calico and floral patterns and petticoats and shoes that you can climb a tree in, if need be. Oh, and encouraging me in pursuing such pioneer girlish pastimes as sewing, cooking and gardening. Pesky lil' bugger...

Listening to: ghost bees

4 comments:

  1. Ooooo, I love Holly Hobby she was so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Holly Hobby is a most excellent personal style icon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly gives me nightmares! But then I remember her from her heyday. Traumatic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Holly Hobbie as a little girl! I own five, in fact, though the more traditional pioneer-esque one was my favorite. Dolls are better when you can hug them, I think...

    ReplyDelete